108-10 72d Avenue, Forest Hills, NY 11375 - TEL. 718.261,2237 E-mail:Directors@belleartiny.com
STUDY WITH THE MASTERS is an intensive two-week Young Artist Training Program for classical singers at all stages of development ages 18 and above. Past participants have come from Australia, Canada, France, Trinidad & Tobago, the Dominican Republic, and across the United States to share in this opportunity.
Our master instructors possess the expertise and the human touch to bring out the personal best in each of our participants. Soprano Verónica Villarroel and tenor Francisco Casanova sang leading roles at The Met, La Scala, Covent Garden, Arena di Verona, Carnegie Hall, Teatro Colón and Bellas Artes – opposite Montserrat Caballé, Alfredo Kraus, Sherrill Milnes, Juan Pons, Luciano Pavarotti, Plácido Domingo, Renatta Scotto, and Leo Nucci, with conductors such as Valery Gergiev, James Levine, Riccardo Mutti, Daniel Oren and Nello Santi.
Maestro Casanova was Pavarotti’s favorite protégé, and substituted for Pavarotti frequently when the late, great tenor was indisposed.
Maestra Villarroel is a long-time collaborator with Plácido Domingo, both on stage and in recording.
Now you too can share in their years of unequaled experience and study vocal technique and interpretation from those who know what it takes to make it to the top, and sharing in their insights on what it takes to succeed in opera, from Bel Canto, to Verdian style and Verismo. The opportunity to artistically and dramatically prepare your repertoire with such world-renowned masters is invaluable to young artists
They will be assisted by noted conductor, pianist, composer and lecturer Pablo Zinger – called “The King of Zarzuela” by Steven Blier in Opera News, who will accompany all the singers in the final concert and conduct a special workshop on Singing in Spanish – zarzuela, art song, tango and popular. Mr. Zinger was pianist and musical director in recordings with Paquito D’Rivera and Astor Piazzolla, and of the music of Carlos Surinach and Carlos Guastavino.
All repertoire will be determined based on applicants accepted, but will have an emphasis on the operas that are most often performed. This is a great opportunity to add new repertoire to your audition package, and to polish your current repertoire.
All students will alternate working with Ms. Villarroel, Mr. Casanova and Mr. Zinger in masterclass settings.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Program Dates: June 13-24, 2017
Location: Belle Arti Center for the Arts, 108-10 72nd Avenue, Forest Hills, NY
Easily accessible by subway (E, F, M, R), LIRR, bus and car
Canto de las Américas Faculty:
Verónica Villarroel, Soprano
Francisco Casanova, Tenor
Pablo Zinger, Musical Director
- Intensive Vocal Masterclass with Francisco Casanova – emphasis on technique (support, emission, placement) and the word as source of the voice, according to the Italian tecnica naturale.
- Intensive Vocal Masterclass with Verónica Villarroel – emphasis on an integrative, natural approach, musical and physical expressiveness and acting.
- Masterclass with Pablo Zinger: Singing in Spanish – zarzuela, art song and popular song – tango, bolero - from Spain and Latin America, Spanish and Latin American diction, understanding text, subtext, style and interpretation.
- Final Public Concert featuring all students and faculty – All repertoire will be determined based on applicants accepted, but will have an emphasis on the operas that are most often performed.
HOW TO APPLY
Who Is Eligible for this Program?
- Classical singers of all voice types and categories ages 18 and above.
- Professionals in career who would like to continue training to refine their vocal technique.
All completed applications must include:
- A current résumé, photo and short biography.
- A video recording with 2 contrasting pieces. (Links to videos on YouTube are preferred.)
- At least 2 letters of recommendation/references.
- A List of Repertoire that you interested in working on. Please include several options. Italian and French arias preferred. Other languages (German, English, Russian) will also be considered. Include duets if so desired. Legitimate BROADWAY songs will also be accepted. In addition, repertoire MUST include at least ONE SELECTION IN SPANISH (zarzuela, art song, popular song, tango). Faculty may request that you participate in a larger ensemble, based on your application materials.
TUITION & FEES
Application Fee: $50.00 (Non-Refundable)
Tuition Fee: $1,300.00*
*The Tuition Fee does not include housing or meals. If needed, we can provide assistance finding lodging in NYC.
Tuition should be paid in full before June 13, 2017 to Belle Arti Center for the Arts, L.L.C. via check, cash, money order, wire transfer or credit card. Please note credit card and wire transfer payments will incur additional fees.